gutted shop
We are still in shock, Vivienne

In the early hours of Friday morning, our charity shop burned to the ground, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes and rubble.

A passing motorist noticed smoke billowing from the premises at about 3am and called the Fire Department, who were quick to arrive on the scene. But, despite their best efforts to contain the blaze, the entire shop, housed in three wooden wendy houses, burned to the ground.

Even though the fire was in close proximity to one of the kennel blocks, all the animals at our SPCA are safe. Thank goodness! But the shop brings in an average of R60 000 per month … valuable funds needed to provide food and care for rescued and abandoned animals here.

It couldn’t have happened at a worse time – just before the festive season, when resources are already stretched to the limit.

If you can possibly help by making an extra donation at this time, we would be so grateful.

We also need to replace all the lost stock – clothing and shoes, jewellery, household items, furniture, linen, books, etc. – so please have a clear out at home and either bring all your unwanted items to our Grassy Park premises, or click here for your nearest drop off point.

Offers of alternate shop space, to enable us to start trading again as soon as possible, would also be a huge help! Yet another victim of this disaster is our Charity Shop manager, whose earnings are based solely on sales commission.

Worst of all – the SAPS strongly suspects the cause of the fire was arson. Why anyone would do such a thing is beyond comprehension. But if you have any information, please report it to the Grassy Park Police.

On a more positive note, we have been overwhelmed by the generous response and offers of help already received. Please join our supporters in helping us overcome this massive setback. Contact us on 021 700 4141 for more information about how you can help.

Thank you so much!

Chief Executive Officer

Tel:  021 700 4141
Fax: 021 705 2127