THE SA NAVY FESTIVAL
The “People’s Navy” will once again open its doors from 16 to 18 March 2012 to the public to visit and experience the naval environment first-hand during its annual three day Navy Festival held in the East Dockyard in Simon’s Town.
Entrance to the festival is FREE and gates will open daily from 10am until 6pm. The tried and tested programme has wide range of activities (most activities are free of charge) that both young and old will find entertaining.
Some of the events which are attractions include:
- Ships and Submarines open to the public
- Tug Rides in the harbour
- Arena events such as the Gun Run, Mast Displays, Fire Fighting Competition, Dog Show, SA Navy and Sea Cadets Precision Drills, SA Navy and Izivunguvungu Youth Bands.
- Anti – Piracy display by the Maritime Reaction Squadron.
- Lynx & Oryx Helicopters Display.
- Live Cannon Firing.
- South African Navy Diving Display.
- Silver Falcons.
- Coca Cola SA Navy Talent Show (Open to the public and lots of prizes to be won! Entry forms are available on www.navy.mil.za)
- Special Forces and SANAD Gun Display.
- Stalls and Exhibitions.
- Children Entertainment and a Tea Garden
A new edition to the Navy Festival this year will be a diving demonstration by a submarine in the harbour. This will take place each day of the Festival and the public will have this rare opportunity to see how one of our submarines “disappears” in the harbour!
Here are some of the events that the media may wish to cover, in addition to the general festival.
|17 Mar||09:00||Right of Entry Parade through Simon’s Town|
|17 Mar||20:00||Night Gunnery Shoot from Lower North GunBattery|
|18 Mar||08:00 – 09:00||SA Navy Remembrance Day Parade, Fleet Command HQ|
|18 Mar||17:20 – 18:00||Retreat Ceremony, East Dockyard, Arena area|
Bring your family and friends to experience navy culture first hand.
ISSUED BY: SA Navy Public Relations Department