Last year we ran an article about the New South African Tradition for Christmas, ie. to buy from local artists, crafters and businesses.
“As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide us with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods – merchandise that has been produced at the expense of South African labour. This year will be different. This year South Africans will give the gift of genuine concern for other South Africans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by South African hands. Yes, there is plenty.”
I invite fellow Scenic South Peninsula residents to add your ideas to the list via the comment box below. Whether you are a crafter, artist, writer, gardenening expert, health practitioner….you name it…and have some special service or item that would make an ideal gift for someone please make use of this column. Organisers of markets and fetes may send me the details via firstname.lastname@example.org – or add them below in the comments section.
1. The Kalk Bay Historical Society has beautiful cards for sale as well as a number of books See
The cards are selling at only R15 – amazing value for 6 quality cards with envelopes! The books include Mike Walker’s A STATEMENT IN STONE
3. For friends and family interested in the local Fynbos and Fynbos names, why not purchase a book from Friends of Silvermine?
4. Purchasing a ticket for the Nerina 1000 Club will not only give the recipient of your gift the chance of winning a welcome sum of money, it will also boost the funds of Fish Hoek Eldercare.
5. New Year’s Day is the day when many of us make resolutions to do something to improve our health/ lose weight/ get more exercise.
A 5 or 10 class card for Hatha Yoga classes might be just what you require. For details ph Viv on 084 685 2641
6. Dedicate a tree from Greenpop to family members or friends – the trees will be planted an under-greened community or reforestation site.
7. Kalk Bay Theatre is delighted to arrange gift vouchers for shows – a great idea for presents! To purchase vouchers, email email@example.com
8. The TEARS Charity shops in Recreation Rd, Fish Hoek and in the Sun Valley Mall have a wonderful selection of books and other items. You are sure to find something original, fun or useful at both these shops as well as at the excellent Hospice Shop in Recreation Rd.
I look forward to receiving your suggestions!