Entries are now open for the prestigious annual Eco-Logic Awards, hosted by The Enviropaedia (in association with SABC3). The Awards acknowledge and support individuals and organisations making a real and measurable difference in creating a more eco-logical and sustainable world to live in.
Until the closing date of 15 June, entrants can submit their products, services, innovations and achievements via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The finalists will be announced on 4 July 2014 following selection by a team of highly respected, environmentally-aware judges. All entries are assessed using 7 criteria that are the ‘roots’ of Eco-Logic and three finalists are selected in each category.
The 2014 Eco-Logic Award categories are:
- The Water Conservation Award – for a product or service that results in Water saving.
- The Energy Saving Award – for a product or service that results in Energy saving.
- The Transport Award – for a product or service that reduces environmental impact in Transport.
- The Recycling Award – for a policy, programme or project that has demonstrably contributed to a greater public understanding and participation in waste reduction, re-use and recycling.
- The Biodiversity Award – awarded to an organisation for a successful biodiversity protection, rehabilitation or damage mitigation programme.
- The Climate Change Award – awarded to an organisation that has achieved a substantial reduction in Greenhouse Gas emissions.
- The Municipalities Award – awarded to a municipality that has achieved success in developing solutions using its risk assessment and management expertise, forming strategic partnerships to improve sustainability, as well as service delivery in municipal functions
- The Youth Award – for an individual of 26 years or under who can show that their actions have protected, preserved or improved the Earths eco-systems and natural resources.
- The Eco-Angel Award – for an individual, whose actions have conserved, nurtured or restored the Earths life forms, eco-systems or natural resources.
- The Eco-Warrior Award – for an individual, whose actions have defended, protected or prevented damage to the Earths life forms, eco-systems or natural resources.
- The Eco-Innovation Award – for a new product or service that is financially viable and sustainable, that serves the needs of humans whilst being equally beneficial to the Earth and its eco-systems.
- Eco-Community Award – for a community that have acted collectively to protect, preserve or restore the Earths life forms, eco-systems or natural resources
- The Lifetime achievement Award – for an individual that has served the interests of Social and Environmental Sustainability – for a period of 15 years or more.
Says David Parry-Davies, editor of The Enviropaedia and co-host of the Eco-Logic Awards: “Each year the quality of the entrants makes another leap in quality and diversity. It is exciting and inspirational to see the significant increase in Eco-Logical thinking that is permeating South African businesses and consumer choices.”
Concludes Dr John Hanks, who was awarded the 2013 Lifetime Achievement Award: “One of my current preoccupations is the identification, nurturing, mentoring and encouraging the conservation champions and leaders of the future. The Eco-Logic Awards are the type of awards that call attention to some of the great work underway to promote the message that environmental conservation is not a luxury, but instead a vitally important prerequisite for building a sustainable future for South Africa. ”
The Eco-Logic Awards will be held at Maropeng (Cradle of Humankind South Africa) World Heritage site, Gauteng on 17 September 2014.
For more information on The Enviropaedia, Eco-Logic Awards please visit: www.enviropaedia.com , find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Enviropaedia and follow us on Twitter: @Enviropaedia1. For details on how to enter visit: http://www.eco-logicawards.com/how-to-enter/ or contact Linda Baker on 0861 000 810.