Cancer free without chemotherapy
In June last year, Fish Hoek resident and actress Lynn Moss was diagnosed with colon cancer. When the tumour was removed it was found that the cancer had spread outside the colon into surrounding tissue. Lynn chose, after nine days of what should have been a six month course of chemotherapy, to stop undergoing chemo and to embark on a radical lifestyle change instead in order to conquer the disease.
Looking radiant and vibrant, Lynn shared her story with an interested audience in my yoga studio.
“While undergoing chemo I felt awful, as if I was experiencing a living death. I could not continue with it. In abandoning the chemo treatment, I acted against the advice of some of my friends and family members. I also did not know of anyone who had cured themselves of cancer in the way that I set my mind to.”
One year later, a CAT scan, blood tests and colonoscopy have confirmed that she is now 100% cancer free.
“Not only that, I am now free of other minor ailments that had plagued me … eczema, fluid retention, bloating, high cholesterol, acid reflux, and I have lost 10kgs in the process!
My husband, who also adopted the new habits, has since been taken off the medication for hypertension that he has been taking over the past 20 years, and has also dropped 10kgs.
I am living proof that cancer, and indeed many of life’s ills, can be reversed through a change in eating and lifestyle.”
Lynn was given the book ‘Never fear cancer again – How to prevent and reverse cancer’ written by Raymond Francis M.Sc, the principles of which she absorbed and rigidly put into practice for four months. Instead of finding that she missed the treats that she used to enjoy, she found that she did not need them. “When I saw the benefits our new eating regime was bringing to us healthwise, we had no desire to return to old eating habits,” said Lynn.
“Now we are not as rigid in our eating patterns. One cannot be so selective when invited out to dinner. It is okay to transgress occasionally if one is following the dietary principles most of the time.”
Healthy Lifestyle Guidelines
Lynn learnt and put into practice the following principles:
- Avoid all processed foods. If it’s made in a factory it almost always contains added salt, sugar, colourings and flavourings, which are all harmful substances that cause cancer and chronic diseases.
- Limit your restaurant and takeaway meals, and try to make healthier choices when you do eat out.
- Eat organically grown foods as much as possible.
- Eat a primarily plant-based diet of vegetables and fruit. 80% of your diet should be fruit and vegetables.
- Avoid supermarket processed fats and oils. Buy high quality olive, flax and coconut oils.
- Cut out sugar, which is in most things and lethal for cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes and other illnesses.
- Cut out wheat and minimize grains. Wheat is a big cancer driver, as well as causing bloating and allergies. Use cornflour for gravy and sauces. Rolled oats porridge and home-made muesli are good breakfast alternatives.
- Avoid dairy products, or try at least to eat organic options which have not been treated with hormones and chemicals
- Minimise animal protein and red meat and try to eat only organic meats (no bacon, ham, sausages or processed meats unless they are naturally cured with no preservatives). Fish, seafood and free-range chicken are good.
- Use as little salt as possible in your diet. Use pink Himalayan salt crystals, as table salt is processed and has additives. The ratio of potassium to sodium in your diet should be 4/1 for optimal health. In reality it is 1/4 with the added salt in processed foods. Potassium is found in bananas and fresh vegetables.
- Avoid alcohol and coffee. Green tea is excellent and has antioxidant and anticancer properties. Pure water with lemon slices in is also beneficial as the lemon makes your body less acidic, which helps lower blood pressure. Cancer thrives in acidic conditions.
- Avoid microwaved foods as they kill good nutrients and the microwaves are toxic.
- Take high quality supplements of Omega-3 oil (Trimega or The Real Thing Mega Omega Supreme).
- The skin is a porous organ. Use non-toxic beauty and cleaning products.
- A healthy mind equals a healthy body. Believe that your body can be healed.
- Take a walk in the fresh air and the sunlight daily, as Vitamin D protects against cancer.
- Get regular sleep. Sleep will improve once your diet improves.
- Remember that good nutrition can reconstruct the high risk DNA in your genes.
- Resolve your old emotional wounds. Forgiveness is for you, not the person you are forgiving. There is healing in forgiveness.
- Think positive thoughts and be grateful for all that you have.
“Remember, if you can only do it for 80% of the time then you are rocking it, and it will make a major difference to your health, weight, and energy levels.
Don’t be daunted, the results will be quick…and worth the effort. But don’t think that if you can’t do all of the above then it’s not worth trying. Any of the above that you can implement, even bit by bit, will improve your overall health and wellbeing,” says Lynn with conviction.
Lynn is willing to talk to groups about her fight against cancer. You can contact her by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Viv vd Heyden and Lynn Moss