115 fearless paddlers lined up to brave the brisk breeze and cold waters for the start of the 2nd race in the Cape Town Summer Surfski Series, the Naturals Hout Bay Hustle. The challenging conditions made for loads of excitement in both the 6km and 12km routes. Former World Champion and Fish Hoek Local, Dawid Mocke, took first position, with current World Champion Sean Rice coming in 2nd and Tom Schilperoort in 3rd place.
“I am elated with the win today,” says Dawid Mocke. “With these young guys coming through you need to take any victory that comes your way! Conditions were technical and I linked a few critical swells at the right time to get ahead. It was tough going staying ahead of Sean Rice; he always finish so strong, but fortunately I could stay ahead.”
Leading lady, Nikki Mocke, took first place amongst the ladies, making it two wins in a row after also winning the Fish Hoek Dunlop Duster, the first race in the Surfski series. Kim van Gysen took 2nd position after Nikki, with junior lady Kirsten Flanagan in 3rd.
The Cape Town Surfski Series, powered by Vodacom, consists of eight races and the next race of the series will be held on Blouberg beach on the 27th of October.
To take part, or for more info, visit www.capetownsurfski.com
For full results visit http://www.capetownsurfski.com/results.php
- Dawid Mocke 56min58sec
- Sean Rice 58min01sec
- Tom Schilperoort 58min48sec
Under 21 Results
- Dominic Notten 59min51sec
- Ivan Kruger 1hr02min31sec
- Gary Carstens 1hr06min47sec
- Bruce & Paul Neil 1hr03min12sec
- Greg Goodwin & Aaron van Schaik 1hr03min18sec
- Rob Mousley 1hr11min20sec
- Kenny Rice 1hr00min28sec
- Nicholas Notten 1hr01min03sec
- Tyrone Smolders 1hr05min29sec
- Nikki Mocke 1hr08min54sec
- Kim van Gysen 1hr08min58sec
- Kirsten Flanagan 1hr09min21sec