PROPOSED IMPROVEMENTS TO DERELICT INFRASTRUCTURE AT THE DISUSED CLOVELLY RAILWAY STATION, ERF 90114, CAPE TOWN:
NOTIFICATION OF PUBLIC REVIEW OF THE FINAL BASIC ASSSESSMENT REPORT
(DEA&DP REF NO.: 16/3/1/1/A6/14/2125/14)
Dear Interested & Affected Party,
As you are aware, a Basic Assessment process is currently being undertaken in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998), as amended, for proposed improvements to derelict infrastructure at the disused Clovelly Railway Station in Cape Town.
This letter serves to notify you that the Final Basic Assessment Report (FBAR) for the above-mentioned project has been made available for the statutory 21-day public review and comment period from 02 June to 23 June 2015.
Note that, despite the promulgation of the new EIA Regulations, 2014, this application was submitted under the EIA Regulations, 2010, which require a 21-day public comment period for final reports.
Comments received as part of the public review of the draft Basic Assessment Report (BAR) have been considered and many of them have resulted in changes to the BAR. These changes are presented in the final BAR and EMPr and key amendments can be summarised as follows:
- Expansion on the project description in terms of the removal of the derelict rusty irons on the Fish Hoek end of the platform as well as the commitment to attempt the removal of the concrete blocks and railway sleepers dumped on the beach on the Fish Hoek end of the platform provided certain conditions are met;
- Provision of a more detailed explanation regarding the demolition process and the profiling and stabilisation proposed for the new slope;
- Provision of a more detailed cross-sectional drawing depicting the proposed profiling and stabilisation of the slope within the surrounding context;
- Incorporation of the basis for Method Statements prescribing the specifications for profiling and stabilisation, removal of the rusty irons, prevention of accidental spills, demolition methodology, and the movement of rubble onto trucks for transportation;
- A change in the surface material proposed from ballast-type material to sandstone boulders and grouting; and
- Two additions to the appendices namely, a detailed cross-sectional drawing depicting the proposed profiling and stabilisation (added as Appendix K) and the Demolition Permit from Heritage Western Cape was added to Appendix E.
Copies of the final BAR will be available at the following locations from 2nd June 2015 :
|YOUR INVITATION TO PARTAKE IN THE PUBLIC REVIEW OF THE FBAR|
|Comment due date||23 June 2015|
|Venues||Chand Environmental Consultants
174-206 Main Road
|Fish Hoek Public Library
021 784 2030
Kalk Bay Community Centre
Tim – 079 887 0869
20 Main Rd
Your comments are considered to be valuable and would be greatly appreciated. Should you or your organisation have any comments or queries regarding the documentation, please submit these, in writing, to Kim Diedericks by no later than 23 June 2015.
Postal Address: PO Box 238, Plumstead, 7801
Fax: 021-762 3240
Tel: 021-762 3050
The reference number, 16/3/1/1/A6/14/2125/14, should be quoted in all correspondence.
Note that, in line with the relevant legislation, comments received during the final public review period will not be responded to, but will be forwarded to the Department of Environmental Affairs & Development Planning directly for their consideration.
Chand Environmental Consultants