Wild Shots is set to become South Africa’s annual gathering of top wildlife photographers, professionals and amateurs.
Wildlife photography is hugely popular in South Africa, but up until now there has been no centralised event, bringing together amateurs, professionals and nature enthusiasts, to learn from, and be inspired by, the best in the business.
Its aim is to explore the power of nature photography and how it promotes a greater public appreciation of biodiversity and the conservation of nature in South Africa. Wild Shots will play host to top nature photographers and industry practitioners, who will present their work and inspire the public through seminars and panel discussions.
The event will take place on Saturday 8th December at the Iziko Natural History Museum.
The event is being hosted by Getaway Magazine’s editor, Cameron Ewart Smith, and features a stellar line up of South Africa’s very best nature photographers and top industry practitioners, as well as the South African winners of this year’s international BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition.
Sessions and speakers include:
- Unforgettable Moments – the good, the bad and the totally accidental: by photographers Roger de la Harpe, Tom Peschak and Heinrich Van den Berg
- Making a Living – don’t get mad, get published; by Riaan Vermeulen, Wild Magazine, Dominique le Roux – Moonshine Media and Getaway Magazine
- Putting Images to Good Use – picture power for conservation: by Peter Chadwick and Tali Hoffman
- Turning a Dream into Reality by Scott Ramsay and Kim Wolhuter
- Planning for a Photographic Expedition – don’t get MIFFED! by Roger de la Harpe
- Iconic Imagery – Developing your own Photographic Style by Horst Klemm
- Promoting Yourself – Sharpen your Profile: by Michael Raimondo, Green Renaissance
- Photo-journalism – Every Picture Tells a Story: by Cheryl-Samantha Owen and Karin Schermbrucker
- BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Winners tell the story behind their pictures: by photographers Kim Wolhuter, Tom Peschak and Heinrich Van den Berg
The event will be followed by a wine reception sponsored by Bouchard Finlayson wines until 18.00hrs when delegates have the chance to speak to the photographers and publishers. There will also be book signings and a chance to view the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition during the lunch break.
Saturday 8th December 2012
SA Iziko Museum, TH Barry Room, Cape Town, South Africa
Full delegate fee: R950 ex VAT Concessions (e.g. students, pensioners, etc): R750 ex VAT
There is space for 120 delegates in total at the symposium. To book click on www.wildshotsevent.com
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE DELEGATE FEE:
- Entry to the full program of events
- Presentations and panel discussions by award winning wildlife photographers
- Book signings and exhibition area
- Lunch and refreshments
- Delegate pack
Karoo – Karin Schermbrucker
Oystercatchers – Peter Chadwick