THE HOLWILL LEGACY

Fish Hoek Valley Historical Association’s Monthly Talk on Thursday 11 April 2013 features Mrs Janet Holwill who will give a talk titled The Holwill Legacy”.
 A view up Main Road Fish Hoek showing Devonshire Court in the 1940s and the row of buildings behind which became The Arcade in 1986.  Janet married into the Holwill family who had arrived in Muizenberg and Fish Hoek in the 1930s. She will amongst other topics cover the landmark Kent’s Building in York
Road, Muizenberg, the building of Devonshire Court in Main Road, Fish Hoek and, the development of The Arcade Shopping Centre in 1986 by her late husband Derek Holwill.
Janet is the current Chair of the Fish Hoek Valley Ratepayer’s and Residents’ Association.
The gable on Kent’s Building, Beach Front, Muizenberg (designed by architect Charles Henry Smith (1863 – 1930) who was best known for his pioneering knowledge of reinforced concrete and fireproofing. Regarding the architectural history of the building, historian Mike Walker writes in a new book that the building was a single story when built in 1916 and extended in 1929 by two floors. EG Holwill bought the draper’s and outfitters business from Michael Kent in the 1930s and possibly the building (to be confirmed).Venue and Time: Fish Hoek Library Hall at 17:45 for 18h00 til 19:00. Seating for 60 people only/first come first served.
Entrance Fee: Association Members free. Non-members R5-00.
Beverages and treats: courtesy our partners The Windsor Restaurant and Food Lover’s Market of Longbeach Mall, Fish Hoek.
For further information on this event or to reserve a seat please either call Clive Stadler on 072 225 5983 or Jean Newport at the Fish Hoek Valley Museum on 021 782 1752 or
e mail the Marketing Secretary fhvalley.historical.secretary@gmail.com