It’s back to school and we have a host of great activities
to support teachers in this first term of 2015!
All teachers and principals attending events and workshops at the Cape Town Science Centre (CTSC) will receive a Certificate of Attendance. There is NO FEE to attend and admission will be on a first come first served basis. Please make your booking early to avoid disappointment. We thank the Western Cape Education Department for supporting these initiatives.
Read on to learn more about:
1. WCED Education District Open Days – 26 January to 4 February
2. WCED Teacher Enrichment Workshops – 24 January, 6 & 7 February, 7 March
3. WCED Principals Evening – 12 February
4. WCED Science Teachers Conference – 28 March
5. CTSC 2015 Education Programme & School Group Bookings
6. Free Bus Transport to the Science Centre
1. WCED EDUCATION DISTRICT OPEN DAYS
Join the CTSC Education Team for an informative hour and a half to see how the Science Centre is able to support you in 2015. Be part of demonstrations, experience the WCED inflatable planetarium and interact with the WCED Mobile Science Centre’s hands-on exhibits. Refreshments, resources and tickets to a lucky draw* are also on offer.
Open days will take place from 15:30 to 17:00 at the following venues:
– 26 January : Sid G Rule Primary School (South Metropole)
– 27 January : Ravensmead Secondary School (North Metropole)
– 28 January : Belgravia High School (Central Metropole)
– 29 January : COSAT (East Metropole)
– 4 February : Steynville Secondary School (West Coast Metropole)
Please note: The following schools are the venues for these Open Days; all teachers from the relevant districts are invited to attend these Open Days.
*LUCKY DRAW PRIZE: A curriculum based school group visit for 58 learners and two teachers to the CTSC including transport (we regret we are unable to offer transport for the West Coast District winner)
2. WCED TEACHER ENRICHMENT WORKSHOPS
– 24 January, Saturday – 9:30 to 12:00: Just do IT, Using ICT in the classroom
(Note: Fully booked)
– 6 February, Friday – 14:30 to 17:00: CAPS Chemistry Practical Experiments
– Laboratory safety & management
– Preparation of a standard solution of oxalic acid
– Titration of the acid against a solution of sodium hydroxide
to determine its concentration.
– 7 February, Saturday – 9:30 to 12:00: CAPS Physics Practical Experiments
– Laboratory safety & management
– Verification of Newton’s Second Law
– Determination of internal resistance of a battery
– 7 March, Saturday – 9:30 to 12:00: Just do IT, Using ICT in the classroom
Please Note: Practical work to be conducted by teachers. Teachers will receive a DVD with all the videos of practical experiments. Refreshment will be served. Teachers will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
3. WCED PRINCIPALS EVENING
The Art and Science of Resilience – Resilience in Education
12 February, Thursday – 18:00 for 18:30
Presented by Wendy Ward – A Resilience and Natural Success Coach, Wendy empowers, challenges and inspires groups, teams and individuals to thrive and evolve in their personal lives and within their leadership roles.
18:00 to 18:30 Arrival and Refreshments
18:30 Welcome Address – WCED
18:45 The Art & Science of Resilience – Wendy Ward
19:30 Q & A
19:45 Thanks and Lucky Draw
The purpose of the talk is to provide value for Principals at the beginning of the year – for Principals to perceive or see the world, act in the world, be in the world and lead in the world in new, more powerful and more resilient ways.
At the heart of resilience is how and what we think. Research shows that how we respond to situations and how we explain what happens to us has a profound effect on our resilience. Moreover, science is showing that that the way we respond to adversity is among the top predictors of satisfaction and success.
• What end results are you wanting to create in 2015 in your life, in your school, among your staff and with your students?
• What would change if you were mastering a more resilient mind-set?
• What would be different if your staff were able to bounce back from challenge, change and uncertainty AND move beyond, with grit, grace and groove?
• What would be different for your students if they could respond more mindfully, problem-solve more accurately and make conscious choices more consistently?
In this talk you will:
• Learn some key premises of resilience
• Bust some myths around resilience
• Discuss why resilience is so vital in today’s turbulent times?
• Explore the relationship between resilience, happiness and success?
• Receive an introduction to the concept of Resilience Intelligence and an outline of the
10 Keys to Boost your Resilience, Brilliance and Presence.
Here’s what others have said about this Introductory Talk:
Wendy’s presentations are * thought-provoking * relevant * eye-opening * inspiring * enlightening * well researched * well-presented * informative * fun * a must for everyone in leadership * Wendy is * inspiring * engaging * authentic * amusing * refreshing * professional * brilliant * on trend…
BOOKINGS: Carmen van der Venter: firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 300 3200
Please note: If the Principal of a school is unable to attend they are
welcome to transfer this invitation to a senior member of staff.
We thank Wendy Ward sincerely for her dedicated time to empower
school leadership in the Western Cape.
4. WCED SCIENCE TEACHERS CONFERENCE
28 March, Saturday – 9:00 to 16:30
Theme: Teachers Inspiring Teachers
The theme reinforces the need for teachers to work together and share ideas and resources as a way of motivating and encouraging each other. Every teacher has a unique way of delivering their lessons and dealing with the variety of abilities and learning styles in the classroom. This teacher’s conference will provide a platform for teachers to collaborate and share their unique teaching style, ideas and resources with their peers.
Target audience: Senior and FET science teachers are encouraged to attend.
Information and participation, please contact: Gabi on 021 300 3200 or email@example.com
Please note: There is no charge to attend the conference and Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to teachers attending. Lunch and refreshments will be served. This event is made possible by the WCED.
5. EDUCATION PROGRAMME 2015 & SCHOOL GROUP VISITS
Curriculum based excursions to the CTSC continue to be a firm favourite. The CTSC has revised the EDUCATION PROGRAMME to suit the needs of schools and the CTSC will also endeavour to accommodate special requests where possible. Visit www.ctsc.org.za/schools/school-programme/ to download the full programme.
A SCHOOL GROUP VISIT to the CTSC lasts for approximately 3 hours and consists of a curriculum related workshop (aligned with the National Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS). chosen by the relevant teacher, a science show, a visit to the Camera Obscura and ‘free time’ on the main exhibition floor to interact with the many exhibits.
COST: All groups larger than 10 qualify for a discounted group rate of R35 per person. This includes pre-school, school and adult groups. One teacher will receive FREE entry with every 10 learners and each additional teacher will be required to pay R10. Standard entry fees are R40 per person.
FOR FURTHER ENQUIRIES please contact:
Primary & High Schools Programme: Muneerah Jacobs – firstname.lastname@example.org
All Bookings: Carmen van der Venter – email@example.com
6. DO YOU NEED TRANSPORT TO THE CTSC?
The CTSC is in a position to offer some free transport to the Science Centre for qualifying schools.
Should you require transport please contact Please contact Carmen on 021 300 3200 or firstname.lastname@example.org to see if your school qualifies.
With thanks to the HCI Foundation for making this possible.
We look forward to supporting you in 2015 and
building a community of science teachers
- Green Businesses
- Enviro Action & NGO’s
- Green living
- Enviro News
- Natural History of Scenic South
- Nature encounters
- Hands on for green action
- Organic Gardening
- Health & Wellbeing
- People of the South
- Fish Hoek Valley
- Kalk Bay & St James
- Kommetjie & Scarborough
- Lakeside & Muizenberg
- Noordhoek Valley
- Ocean View
- Simon’s Town & Glencairn
- Animal Welfare
- Clubs and Societies
- Sports Clubs
- Support Groups
- Volunteer and Service Organisations
- Youth Groups