We would like to alert schools and educational facilities in the Scenic South to the following:
Books for the World – A Rotary Club of Newlands Project
Rotary Clubs in the USA and South Africa have teamed up to distribute free literacy, maths, science and other school books including library books to local schools and educational facilities.
The books are sent to us in containers containing up to 25 thousand books at a time from schools and libraries in the USA and cover pre-school, junior and senior school levels as well as adult literature.
These books are then donated absolutely free of charge to any organisation, formal and informal, involved in education, literacy programmes or the creation of libraries etc. and are not for resale.
We have so far received about 80 thousand books of which about 75 thousand have been distributed and now hope to bring in about 20 thousand a month. We nearly finished sorting out our latest container and have another waiting in storage to be sorted as soon as we are finished with the current one.
These books are suitable for both teaching at all levels and for setting up much needed school and other libraries.
The depot with books is located at the Leap School in Pinelands near to Old Mutual (see directions below) and is operated on a voluntary basis and is open at the following times:
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm – the lady on duty is Francoise: cell 073 731 7056
Saturdays from 9am – 12 noon. – contact Mike to confirm (082 491 0890)
Please note that the facility is closed during school holidays.
We do have some boxes for packing but sometimes they are in short supply so please bring your own if you have any.
If you know of any other institutions that may be interested in our books please pass on the message.
Driving north-east on Forest Drive:
· Drive right to the end of Forest Drive.
· Turn left at the traffic lights and the right at the next traffic lights into Mutual Way.
· Turn immediately right into Forest Drive Extension, over the railway bridge and first left into the Old Mutual golf course and Leap School entrance opposite the old Conradie Hospital.
· Drive past the golf course on your right, past the Leap School buildings until you come to the railway line then follow the road with the railway line on your left until you can see the 2 containers.
· Park in this area and the entrance to the containers is on end away from the railway line.
Driving east on Jan Smuts Drive
· Drive past the Old Mutual sports fields and buildings.
· At the traffic lights at the end of the Old Mutual buildings turn left into Mutual Way.
· Continue as above.